Production Manager (Animal Feed)
An agribusiness company that manufactures and distributes livestock and poultry feed, feed input materials and animal health products seeks to hire a Production Manager.
The Production Manager will be responsible for the planning, managing, production & control of supplies of raw materials and finished feeds from the factory on a daily basis to ensure all areas of responsibilities meet business and plant standards for safety, quality, operational effectiveness, and financial performance.
Reporting Relationships: The Production Manager reports to the Managing Director. The position works with a high degree of autonomy and responsibility.
- Responsible for the day to day running of the production facility, organization of personnel and the manufacture of required tonnages.
- Responsible for the achievement of the approved production budget.
- Develop a site structure which enables the production and delivery of feed of consistently satisfactory quality and the requirements of health and safety and environmental legislation/policy to be met at minimum cost.
- Improve leadership, team building and empowerment skills of the mill and other production staff
- Continued compliance with Health and Safety, and Environmental Law and Policy
- Implement capital projects for the site.
- Communicate with stakeholders and ensure customer expectations are met
- Maximize finished product quality standards and consistency
- Maintain hygiene standards and the implementations of all procedures
- Ensure an adequate maintenance programme is devised and implemented
- Manage the site stock control and variances
- Maintain HACCP systems to Company requirements
- Manage feed mill operations, ensuring that the manufacturing process is carried out in line with budgets, quality and safety standards
- Optimize the efficiency of the mill, in terms of both yield and wastage, and maximizing the plant’s utilization with regards to profitability
- Work closely with the nutritionist and related vendors to ensure high quality, cost-effective and value-added feed products
- Understand and ensure compliance with all transportation, environmental and feed production regulations and policies
- Coordinate and monitor all feed production equipment, facility and truck maintenance, and repairs
- Ensure all products are produced and packed to customer service requirements and meet the required specifications
- Manage and maintain an adequate yet cost effective grain, ingredient and supplement inventory
- Prepare and monitor all feed production/transportation related budgeting and financial controls
- Provide information and recommendations to upper management related to feed production/transport and related cost reduction opportunities
- Develop and evaluate the effectiveness of all related standard operating procedures and training regimens
- Develop, communicate and enforce all feed production and delivery
- Ensure the complete implementation of safety systems and safe practice, and ensure the feed mill’s levels of hygiene and housekeeping are kept within the standards required
Product Quality and Reliability
- Ensure product availability and quality on a timely basis to customers.
- Monitor general operations and maintenance of plant equipment and execute on operational priorities to meet product quality and availability of feed.
- Monitor operations/quality management deliverables to ensure product/quality standards requirements are met within specifications.
- Collaborate/partner with Logistics/Procurement/Sales/Supply Chain professionals to ensure availability of raw materials and the ability to meet customer specifications and timelines.
- Accountable for ensuring that customers are satisfied and that any inquiries, incidents and/or issues are resolved in a timely manner.
- Develop and implement performance metrics for capturing, monitoring and reporting on the effectiveness of corporate quality management activities and programs at the plant level.
- Partners with internal/external stakeholders (i.e. customers, engineering, Feed Safety Team, R&D) to define, adopt and monitor performance indicators to identify/measure quality performance in areas that impact the customers and recommend areas of improvement and innovation.
- Deploys and leverages technology innovation by developing transactional/operational plans and by coordinating execution.
- Directly collaborates with marketing and R&D Business to identify emerging trends and translate into long-medium term operational goals.
- Develop/support Business/Plant customer relationships by meeting businesses objectives and by understanding how operational performance impact internal/external customers.
- Identify, plan and implement training as required, to maximize team development and ensure the maintenance of key skills in the workplace
Essential Minimum Requirements
- Graduate-level qualification in Agricultural, Process or Industrial Engineering
- Demonstrable experience in a medium to large business environment with 7 years’ experience ideally in a feed mill environment
- Experience with livestock feed production
- Experience in the development of systems and procedures
- Working knowledge of HACCP, ISO 14001 and other industry standards
- Demonstrable experience leading improvement initiatives
- Ability to administer and manage an effective and proactive Occupational Health & Safety program
- Knowledge of Profibus Communication System
- Experience with electrical and programmable controllers (PLCs)
- Adept at interpreting and troubleshooting PLCs
- Demonstrable general management skills
- Demonstrable experience in management, preparing and presenting budget reports and discussing and finalizing targets and plans with regards to production and maintenance activities
Job type: Full-Time
Job status: Open to new applicants
Years of Experience: 7
Educational Level: University
|Ecobank Management Trainee Recruitment 2019 (Banking)||Details|
|Sales/ Business Development Managers & Officers||Details|
|Chief Finance Officer (E-Commerce)||Details|
|Managing Director (Logistics)||Details|
|Executive Director (Leadership Fellowship)||Details|