Our client, a major player in the Banking and Finance Industry seeks to hire a Financial Controller. Responsible for ensuring that financial controls are operating effectively, and financial records, as well as, regulatory and statutory reporting are complete, accurate, timely, and in line with all applicable accounting and regulatory/Group Policies, the Financial Controller is also expected to be the trusted technical expert with respect to Central Bank regulations, IFRS/IAS and other Group Policies within Finance, ensuring that accounting is in compliance with IFRS and regulatory accounting guidelines. He/She is also responsible for ensuring that the tax affairs of the bank are in order.
Accountabilities and Time Split
General Ledger Oversight and Control (Time split: 30%)
- Overall responsibility for general ledger controls within the bank
- Ensure ongoing improvements to the GL controls and reconciliation process across the bank
- Chairing the Balance Sheet Review Committee and Cost Committee meetings and ensuring their effectiveness
- Review reconciliations performed by the Financial Control team
- Implement cost controls in all branches and Head Office
- Responsible for Balance Sheet Review and ensuring all exceptional items are investigated and escalation process established and followed.
- Approve all new Retail and Information Network accounts, ensuring mapping in TM1 and SAP are correct
- Responsible for preparation for audits, and managing the closure of all audit findings, ensure action plans are in place and report as necessary
Statutory & Regulatory Reporting (Time split:30%)
- Responsible for regulatory reporting to the Bank of Ghana-Review and approve the completed schedules before they are submitted.
- Responsible for the quarterly, half year & full year statutory reporting, including newspaper publications.
- Ensure compliance with IFRS/Group Accounting policies, regulatory guidelines and procedures in Group, Statutory and Regulatory reporting.
- Maintain close relations with the Central Bank and other relevant stakeholders and regulatory institutions
- Responsible for ensuring all board papers (including subsidiary board committee papers) are prepared, reviewed and submitted on time.
- Set timetable and coordinate auditors requests in respect of both internal and external audits
- Responsible for the Bank’s Income Tax, VAT and WHT matters and ensure accurate and timely submission of returns and payments.
Stakeholder Engagement (Time Split:10%)
- Maintain close relations with the Central bank, Tax Authorities and other applicable Regulatory Bodies
- Manage the relationships with external auditors
- Manage Relationship with Functional Heads
Risk and Control (Time Split:15%)
- Understand and manage risks applicable to events (incidents) which are faced in the role
- Ensure that practices and controls required by Policies are communicated to all relevant colleagues
- Maintain procedures to monitor compliance with Group Policies and any controls required by them
- Ensure compliance with the Group process for applications for waivers and dispensations, and the notification of breaches of Policies as appropriate
Team Leadership/Management (Time Split:15%)
- Provide leadership, line management & coaching to both the Financial Control team and more broadly across finance
- Manage the provision of training and sup
- port to other areas of the bank to ensure they have sufficient financial understanding to support the Financial Control function
- Proactive member of the bank’s senior leadership team committed to achieving success and providing support for colleagues.
- Pursue your own personal development to increase job effectiveness
Preferred Knowledge, Experience, and Technical Skills
- A Master’s degree in Business Administration, as well as a professional Accounting qualification
- At least 8 years’ of significant practical experience in a Senior Finance role in the banking industry
- Demonstrated practical experience in management reporting in a financial institution
- Up to date knowledge of technical accounting issues (International Accounting Standards/IFRS, etc.)
- Up to date knowledge of VAT, WHT and Income Tax
- Computer literacy including Financial Applications and advanced excel (Pastel, TM1, SAP)
- Demonstrated ability to manage, motivate and develop a team and effectively work with other staff
- Proven experience in budgeting and cost control, as well as analysis of variances
- Strong ability to view issues from a risk & control perspective
- Highly numeric/strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Drive to continually improve processes and seek new challenges
Company: Bank/Financial Institution
Job type: Full-Time
Job status: Closed to new applicants
Years of Experience: 8
Educational Level: Post-graduate
|Sales/ Business Development Managers & Officers||Details|
|Head of Credit Operations (Banking)||Details|
|HR Project Coordinator||Details|
|Country HR Manager (NGO)||Details|
|Executive Director (Leadership Fellowship)||Details|