Managing Director (Agribusiness)
An Agri-business firm seeks to hire a Managing Director. The ideal candidate will work closely with and support other on-site personnel to continuously improve yields, organise farm administration and maintain the highest industry standards while developing new sales leads for the company.
He or She will be expected to set and maintain a culture focused on setting performance standards, establishing budgets, managing costs, creating and maintaining new business leads and customer service excellence.
- Assure the filing of all legal and regulatory documents and monitor compliance with relevant laws, regulations; and national & international certification bodies
Mission, Policy and Planning
- Help the Board monitor and evaluate the company’s relevance to the community of stakeholders, its effectiveness, and its results.
- Keep the Board fully informed on the condition of the company and on all the key factors influencing it
- Identify problems and opportunities and addresses them; bring those which are appropriate to the Board and/or its committees; and facilitate discussion and deliberation
- Inform the Board and its committees about trends, issues, problems and activities to facilitate policy-making. Recommend policy positions
- Present quarterly reports of the company’s operations and financials of the company
- Create annual operating plans that supports the strategic direction set by the Board and correlates with annual operating budgets; submit annual plans to the Board for approval
Management and Administration
- Oversee the day to day work of line managers across all divisions. Activities include; regular team discussions to ensure that priorities and role assignments are clear, next steps are identified and coordination/follow-up is thorough
- Assure program quality and organizational stability through development and implementation of standards and controls, systems and procedures, and regular evaluation
- Assure a work environment that recruits, retains and supports quality staff. Assure process for selecting, development, motivating, and evaluating staff
- Recommend staffing and financing to the Board of Directors. In accordance with Board action, recruit personnel, negotiate professional contracts, and see that appropriate salary structures are developed and maintained
- Specify accountabilities for management personnel and evaluate performance regularly
- Assure quality and sustainable fruit production to the certification of the customers always
- Maintain awareness of both the external and internal competitive landscape, opportunities for expansion, customers, markets, new industry developments and standards, etc.
- Manage farm planning, organisation, supervision and administration in line with budgets, health and safety standards
- Maintain and manage the quality of yield, and sales prices with regards to profitability
- Perform quality controls, monitor production KPIs and evaluate the success of the company
- Facilitate the integration of the company into the fabric of the community of stakeholders by using effective marketing and communications activities.
- Act as an advocate, within the public and private sectors, for issues relevant to the company’s operations and markets.
- Serve as the chief spokesperson for the company, assuring proper representation of the company to the community of stakeholders.
- Initiate, develop and maintain cooperative relationships with key stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the board
Essential Minimum Requirements
- A university qualification in Agriculture, Agribusiness, Farm Business Management or any related field. An MBA will be an added advantage
- Must have proven ability to work and excel in demanding role(s).
- Must have experience in handling detailed, complex trade, marketing and agricultural production related problems, balance multiple tasks simultaneously and make rapid decisions regarding administrative and other related issues.
- Must possess the ability to develop smooth and constructive relationships with executive colleagues, external agencies, organizations and individuals.
Commitment to Results
- Must be a systems thinker who is customer focused and goal driven.
- Must have the ability to identify relevant information and help transform this information into individual and organizational knowledge and learning.
- Must be action-oriented and innovative.
- Must be able to translate broad goals into achievable steps
- Must be able to anticipate and solve problems, take advantage of opportunities, be a self-starter as well as a team player.
- Must have knowledge of and experience in management and administration of agricultural enterprises.
- Must have demonstrated experience in integrating and coordinating diverse areas of management.
- Knowledge in the following areas is required: farming operations; finance and personnel dynamics; oral and written communications; planning and evaluation; and governance
- Experience in the field of trade, environmental management and governance, and community relations is preferred
- A high level of personal skills is required to make formal, persuasive presentations to groups and to deal effectively with people from all segments of the community
- Must be comfortable with diversity and respectful of a wide range of faiths, beliefs and experiences
- Must display high level of integrity, model behaviour, develop people, and build teams.
- Must be able to deal effectively with demanding situations, and also design and implement interventions.
Job type: Full-Time
Job status: Open to new applicants
Years of Experience:
Educational Level: University
|Director of Maintenance (Aviation)||Details|
|Head of Management Information (MI), Business Intelligence (BI), and Data||Details|
|Human Capital Director||Details|
|Learning and Development Manager||Details|